Thriving Children. Resilient Families. Vibrant Community.
Get involved! Fill out our interest form to get started.
Every child in the IndyEast Promise Neighborhood will be ready for college and prepared for a career.
The Department of Education awarded a five-year, $30 million grant to create the Promise Neighborhood, allowing partners and identified schools to expand their efforts and collaborate in a meaningful, coordinated way.
We're Building our Team!
The IndyEast Promise Neighborhood is hiring! We’re looking for community-minded individuals who will help us keep our promise of ensuring ALL children in our community become thriving adults.
Frequently Asked Questions
The IndyEast Promise Neighborhood is both a place and a strategy led by John Boner Neighborhood Center and Edna Martin Christian Center. The IndyEast Promise Neighborhood promises all students on the Near Eastside and in Martindale-Brightwood access to great schools and whole family support to ensure a successful transition from birth to adulthood.
Promise Neighborhoods are selected by the federal government through a competitive grant application process. In 2021 there were a total of 50 applications from across the country and 7 areas were selected. The Department of Education awarded a five-year, $30 million grant to create the IndyEast Promise Neighborhood.
Officially set to launch in January 2023, this responsive, student-centered initiative will create an environment where the whole family can thrive, be healthy, and prosper. The funding will allow partners and identified schools to expand their efforts and collaborate in a meaningful, coordinated way.
The IndyEast Promise Neighborhood covers areas of the Near Eastside and Martindale-Brightwood neighborhood (See Map). It covers all families in close proximity to following schools:
- Thomas Gregg Neighborhood School
- Brookside Elementary School #54
- James Russell Lowell Elementary School #51
- Paramount School of Excellence
- KIPP Indy College Prep Middle School
- Harshman Middle School
- Arsenal Technical High School
The IndyEast Promise Neighborhood Initiative believes that when people’s potential, talents, and skills are fully realized, the community grows stronger and more vibrant with thriving children and resilient families. Our neighbors are creative, resourceful, and whole. The IndyEast Promise Neighborhood initiative has a goal of hiring no less than 50% of staff from the area for new jobs created as part of the process.
The IndyEast Promise Neighborhood vision is a vibrant neighborhood with thriving children and resilient families. We will achieve this vision by implementing strategies and solutions in 4 key areas:
- Learn Early (Birth through Kindergarten):
- Strengthening families of young children
- Increasing access to high-quality early learning education
- Improving student readiness and success
- Learn In School (Kindergarten through Middle School):
- Improving core academic proficiencies
- Creating a “college-going” culture
- Increasing student engagement and quality out of school time
- Learn for College & Career (High School through Postsecondary):
- Preparing students to go to college
- Supporting students in their post-high school plans
- Learn In Community (Whole Family Support):
- Improving housing stability and financial security
- Improving community safety
- Supporting workforce development and increasing parental education
- Increase community and family engagement
- Improve family health
We will have opportunities for both neighbors and organizations to be involved. Promise Neighborhood activity will be discussed and reported at the quarterly neighborhood summits.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and get you connected.