Thriving Children. Resilient Families. Vibrant Community.
Get involved! Fill out our interest form to get started.
Every child in the IndyEast Promise Neighborhood will be ready for college and prepared for a career.
A COMMUNITY INITIATIVE
The Near Eastside and Martindale Brightwood communities make up the IndyEast Promise Neighborhood. Led by John Boner Neighborhood Center and Edna Martin Christian Center, the initiative launched in 2023.
The Promise Neighborhood is a student-centered, data-driven initiative that focuses on four stages of growth – Learn Early, Learn in School, Learn for College and Career, and Learn in Community. There are opportunities for parents, scholars, teachers, and neighbors to engage every step of the way.
The Department of Education awarded a five-year, $30 million grant to create the Promise Neighborhood, allowing partners and identified schools to expand their efforts and collaborate in a meaningful, coordinated way.
Building our Team
We’re looking for community-minded individuals who will help us keep our promise of ensuring ALL children in our community become thriving adults. When positions are available, we’ll post them here!
Frequently Asked Questions
The IndyEast Promise Neighborhood is both a place and a strategy led by John Boner Neighborhood Center and Edna Martin Christian Center. The IndyEast Promise Neighborhood promises every child on the Near Eastside and in Martindale-Brightwood will be ready for college and prepared for a career.
Promise Neighborhoods are selected by the federal government through a competitive grant application process. In 2021, there were a total of 50 applications from across the country, and 6 areas were selected. The Department of Education awarded a five-year, $30 million grant to create the IndyEast Promise Neighborhood.
Officially launched in January 2023, this responsive, student-centered initiative will create an environment where the whole family can thrive, be healthy, and prosper. The funding will allow partners and identified schools to expand their efforts and collaborate in a meaningful, coordinated way.
The IndyEast Promise Neighborhood covers areas of the Near Eastside and Martindale-Brightwood neighborhood (See Map Above). It covers all families in close proximity to following schools:
- Thomas Gregg Neighborhood School
- Brookside Elementary School #54
- James Russell Lowell Elementary School #51
- Paramount School of Excellence
- KIPP Indy College Prep Middle School
- Harshman Middle School
- Arsenal Technical High School
The IndyEast Promise Neighborhood Initiative believes that when people’s potential, talents, and skills are fully realized, the community grows stronger and more vibrant with thriving children and resilient families. Our neighbors are creative, resourceful, and whole. The IndyEast Promise Neighborhood initiative has a goal of hiring no less than 50% of staff from the area for new jobs created as part of the process.
The IndyEast Promise Neighborhood vision is a vibrant neighborhood with thriving children and resilient families. We will achieve this vision by implementing strategies and solutions in 4 key areas:
- Learn Early (Birth through Kindergarten):
- Strengthening families of young children
- Increasing access to high-quality early learning education
- Improving student readiness and success
- Learn In School (Kindergarten through Middle School):
- Improving core academic proficiencies
- Creating a “college-going” culture
- Increasing student engagement and quality out of school time
- Learn for College & Career (High School through Postsecondary):
- Preparing students to go to college
- Supporting students in their post-high school plans
- Learn In Community (Whole Family Support):
- Improving housing stability and financial security
- Improving community safety
- Supporting workforce development and increasing parental education
- Increase community and family engagement
- Improve family health
We have opportunities for both neighbors and organizations to be involved! Fill out our Interest Form, and a member of the staff will follow up with you.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and get you connected.